Monday, 16 June 2014

The Lady Skater Dress!!

Right so! After not being able to post for months, I now have two posts in two weeks! Check me ! The Lady Skater dress has been a hit online ever since it was launched. I decided to make one, purely because I couldn't find a single person who didn't like it!The versions that I have loved online are Ping's Floral Skater , does help that the girl has a cracking body, but her dress was the final nod to go ahead and buy the pattern.
I chose a Black Floral Jersey from Croft Mill   and bought the clear elastic from Ebay.
20 yards for something like £5.



The pattern itself is actually pretty easy to sew up. The slightly fiddly bits were attaching the elastic to the shoulder seams and the neck band.
With the elastic, I ended up cutting a bit extra to hang loose on both sides which then made it easier to attach. For the neckband, I cut two sizes bigger, so that it fit without too much stretch.

I really like this dress, I made it a few months ago now, and have worn it through the spring with tights and boots and now can wear it with pumps.
 The fit is very flattering and I have had looks of disbelief when mentioned that this dress is hand made!!

I am looking for the perfect fabric to make a cap sleeved version of this bad boy. I like Rachel's  version  , just need to find the perfect fabric for it.


If you are even vaguely considering making this pattern and are new to knits, this is the one to go for. having never used knit fabric before, this dress was a great introduction and gave wonderful wearable results. I don't own an overlocker so just used stretch needles and the stretch stitch function on my basic cheepo machine. the results have left me feeling extremely confident sewing with knits and I cannot canvass enough for it.

Go get your lady skater on!

Fabric - Croftmill
Shoes- Minnetonka

Monday, 9 June 2014

Sinbad & Sailor's Hepworth Dress - and General Ramblings

Right, before I talk about my new make, I think I need to address something that has been stewing in my mind for  while. When I started this blog, nearly a year ago now, I thought it would be a good forum to document all my makes, connect with other people out there who love the craft and share my passion. What I didn't think about, was the sheer logistics that go with blogging , mainly taking the photographs. I feel extremely guilty to ask my OH or friends to take pictures of me in my  makes. I am not entirely sure why? Maybe it the fact that I have to rely on others to post. Maybe I find it too vain to photograph myself?
Whatever the reason be- but the lack of independence of being able to just sew, photograph and post instantly is what has kept me from blogging since January. I feel awful. I have so many lovely things to document and share.

Having always been an independent person, I am struggling to have to depend  on others to do something I consider my passion!
What would be the solution- spend money on a gadget that buys me this freedom? What would this gadget look like? A new self timing camera? a camera with a remote? Or a tripod for my iPhone? 
Do you blog and take pictures of yourself? if so, how do you manage that? Help me please!

Anyway,  freedom issues aside :) presenting my latest make! The Sinbad & Sailor's Hepworth Dress!!!
Photography courtesy the OH :) 

The Hepworth is a beautiful sleeveless dress pattern with a princess seam bodice joined at the waist to a flared skirt which includes handy hip pockets. The fit and flare shape gives you a flattering silhouette while evoking the organic and modernist sculptures of its namesake Barbara Hepworth. 

I cut out a size 10 , as that's what I thought my measurements corresponded to! Well it turns out- not-so-much! The dress was way too big for me, and I had to take a size in. So the next one will be cut out to a size 8. I am not entirely sure what the issue was- maybe I lost weight ? ( like feck!) or maybe I didn’t measure myself properly? 
Anyway, once I tried on the dress, I had to redo the back darts and adjust the shoulders quite a bit. 
This was my first time with princess seams . The pattern instructions are quite precise, I used this online tutorial to understand the process better. I also used Lladybird’s invisible zipper tutorial to make sense of what I was doing. 
The arm and neck lines are finished with a facing, and I must say-  that makes the dress look very tidy. 



I used a bold red polka dotted cotton for the pockets, as I love a bit of hidden flash, ahh the rebel that I am ! :p


 I thought I should try a few ‘modelling’ poses – so here’s a side one…


That clearly was more than enough to set off the giggle fit !


Fabric- Croft mill – Pima Cotton Lawn for dress. Study quilting cotton for pockets. Facing was navy blue cotton fabric from my stash
Tights- ASOS
Boots- Dune
Shades- Fossil