Saturday, 17 August 2013

Jumped on the Mathilde Bandwagon

So like dozens if not hundreds of crazy sewing bumbles around the blogsphere, I succumbed to Tilly and the buttons, beautiful Mathilde blouseI started reading her blog during The Great British Sewing Bee and then became obsessed with her souvenir Mathilde blouse.


This pattern is easy to follow and Tilly has very detailed step by step instructions on her blog. These are an absolute godsend when you are a novice like me. Every single step was new to me- pleats, french seams, button holes, gathering , attaching sleeves, applying interfacing, back blouse closure techniques, collar facing, sleeve gathering (Whew!!!). Obviously the knowledge of learning these many techniques in one go wasn't enough for me, that I decided to make my own fabric buttons as well. 
I faced quite a few hurdles on the way, not due to the pattern or the instructions but simply by my inability to pay attention to details and my rather deceptive looking heavy hand. But more of that on another day.
So, as I mentioned the pattern is a joy to work with and the end result is this unbelievably cute top that can be dresses up or down . 




Fabric : Polyester Navy Polka Dots ( From Remnant Kings ) ///Buttons: 6 5/8 Cover buttons  (John Lewis ) ,(The Little button shop)///Some lightweight fusible interfacing for collar facing, back opening  and cuffs.


I used the size 2 and have made no alterations to the pattern.The buttons were covered with some red fabric that I had in my stash.
When I decide to make another one I will probably make a more dressier version which would probably include a lace yolk!!


No comments:

Post a Comment